Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grattitude Attitude

Webster’s Dictionary defines gratitude as “The act of being grateful; thankfulness.” 

Being grateful is a simple act, and yet so many people find it difficult. Our world seems to be moving faster and faster, and our constant access to the media doesn't help. To be in a state of gratitude is to be content, even if for just that moment. Being grateful makes us feel better about ourselves and each other. Being grateful makes the happenings in the world and our lives easier to handle.

Several years ago, while going through a difficult time in my life, I took Oprah’s advice and bought a blank journal to record the things I was grateful for. Boy, some days it sure was hard to come up with anything to write in my “Gratitude Journal.” However, I found that by going through the process of thinking about what was good, I actually began to feel good. I remember one day when I felt so sad and burdened that all I could come up with was, “I am grateful that I am not constipated!” Well, it counts because in my mind that is something to be grateful for! Most days I can make a really long list, but on a day when life feels overwhelming I simply remember to be grateful for the small things.

Take a few moments each day to jot down things that you are grateful for

I am grateful for…
  • A beautiful sunset 
  • The right to vote 
  • Food on my table 
  • Good coffee 
  • The smell of good coffee 
  • Chocolate 
  • Generous, kind friends 
  • A sunny day 
  • A rainy day 
  • My husband 
  • My healthy children 
  • Green grass 
  • My pets 
  • Flowers 
  • The smell of lavender 
  • A wildlife sighting 
  • The sound of children laughing 
  • My community 
  • Leaves rustling in the breeze 
  • Waves lapping on the shore 
  • The smell of freshly mowed grass 
  • Beautiful scenery 
  • My wonderful parents 
  • Laughter 
  • Beautiful colors 
After a few weeks of following this routine, you will feel better. Some experts say that feeling grateful even brings about physical changes, such as sleeping better, having more energy and a general feeling of contentment.
I am grateful for this wonderful venue to express myself and inspire others. I am grateful to be working with my best friend. I am grateful for all of the things listed above.

I wrote this article for my other business, Mermaids of the Lake. Mermaids of the Lake is an online women's magazine with a mission to INSPIRE!

Follow Debbie's board Thanks & Gratitude on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.