Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Say I Love You 52 Ways

Say I Love You 52 Ways

I have a dear friend who really needed to know just how much she is loved. So, after seeing this idea on Pinterest I decided to dive in and make my friend a special gift that she can pick up and flip through whenever she is needing a boost. It was fun thinking of all the the things I like about her and translating them into loving words. This is the perfect gift of love and would make a lovely, meaningful gift any day of the year, but especially for Valentine's Day.

Here is the original source of the image I found on Pinterest. I did not follow her instructions. I actually just saw her photo and decided to take it from there my own way.

You will need
  • A deck of cards (The dollar store has them for... $1!)
  • White, sturdy paper (I used 4 x 6 unlined index cards)
  • Black Extra Fine Point Sharpie
  • Markers and or paints
  • Glue (I used a quick dry adhesive)
  • Paint on varnish (optional)
  • Scissors or paper cutter (paper cutter is easier)
  • Ruler
  • Paper hole punch
  • Ribbon or yarn
  • Lot's of LOVE
Open a box of playing cards

Measure the part you want to cover up with your love notes. Leave the faces of the cards showing. You will want to cover the other side.

Make a little template in the correct dimensions. Trace around your template on white paper. Make 54. (52 for your I love you's and 2 for the front and back covers)

Remove the Jokers. They will be your front and back covers.

Using the black Sharpie, write 52 little love notes all beginning with I Love... I found it easiest to do all of my notes and then go back and decorate each one with little hearts and squiggles, etc... I used acrylic paint, watered down thin so it dried quickly. Don't forget to make a cover that says 52 Reasons I Love You and a back for your signature. 

Let them all dry

 Glue them onto the cover side of each playing card

 Optional; Cover with a coat of varnish for more durability. Let dry

Measure and make a mark where you want to punch your holes. Punch two holes, evenly spaced

Thread ribbon or yarn through holes of all 54 cards, making a little book

This is a true labor of love. The entire time I spent making this was spent with thoughts of my friend and why I love her. It felt wonderful to realize how much I really do love her. I really need to make one for my husband and kids, mom, dad, other friends... Wow, I could be really really busy for a long time with this one!

As a special added note - my wonderful friend called me today and not knowing that I had been working on this post, told me how much her little book of I Love You's means to her. She told me that she takes it out and flips through it when she is feeling sad, scared or worried and it comforts her. She even takes it in her purse to accompany her to doctor visits. I am so happy that I made this for her. Make one for someone you love TODAY! 

"If you have the power to make someone feel good,
you should make them feel good."
~Unknown

Follow Debbie's board Let's Get Creative 2 on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.