Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

DIY Brown Sugar Coffee Scrub


This Brown Sugar Coffee Scrub smells heavenly and leaves my skin soft and smooth. Okay, there are those who claim that the caffeine in coffee grounds, when massaged into the skin, helps to diminish the appearance of cellulite by stimulating blood flow. Hmmm... who wouldn't want that?

It takes just a few minutes to make!
The yummy, fragrant ingredients can all be found in your kitchen pantry!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup fresh, ground coffee (I used French Roast - oh yum!) (before it has been brewed)
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 6 drops vanilla essential oil- (optional) I will leave it out next time as I really could not see or smell any difference by using it. It is in my photo, though... so I thought I should mention it. 
  • Mixing bowl
  • Spoon for stirring
  • Jars with tight-fitting lids
This batch will fill approximately three 4 oz canning jars. I filled one small one for the shower and put the rest of the batch in a large jar for storing.

MUY MUY IMPORTANTE!!! VERY VERY IMPORTANT! Oil in your shower or tub can make it super slippery! So, use caution. Also, glass jars may not be a great idea for the shower - if you think you might be clumsy - use a plastic container! If you are giving these as gifts, you could even put it in a pretty, canning jar, but also add a little disposable plastic container for the shower.

Here's What You Do


Add all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stir with a spoon until the dry ingredients are mixed well with the oil. Spoon into jars with tight-fitting lids.

Smooth on to wet skin, massage, and rinse.

Besides the possibility of getting rid of some unwanted fat deposits, this scrub really is a good thing, as it is economical, smells great, very emollient, and is a wonderful exfoliant. I plan to make up a batch for Christmas gifts!

In addition to authoring this blog, I am also one of the publishers of Mermaids of the Lake online women's magazine. Visit us for loads of information and inspiration!

Follow Debbie's board DIY Home & Beauty Products on Pinterest.

10 comments:

  1. WouldAnyOil Work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, other oils would work fine. Grapeseed oil, walnut oil, etc...

      Delete
  2. Hi! the coffee. Could you please clarify the measurement for the coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stef! Wow, all this time I didn't realize I had forgot the amount for the coffee. Thank you! 1/2 cup!!! I've fixed it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you use coffee that had not been used to brew, or the grounds after brewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wizzard, I used fresh ground coffee.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Debbie - I have been experimenting with body scrubs after reading your blog. xx

      Delete
    3. Aren't they fun? I love making and using them. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  5. hi just wondering how long the scrub will stay fresh for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the same scrub in my shower now for over two months and it is still fresh. Sugar works as a preservative. I would always sniff it to see if you can smell the scent of rancid oil, but so far I have not.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.