Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Preschool Art: Abstract Art, Line Drawing Necklaces with Shrinky Dinks!


This was a fun and easy project. It would be great for all ages. With my group of preschoolers I just had to take care of the tracing, cutting, hole punching, and of course, the shrinking in my toaster oven.


You will need:
  • Shrink plastic (I used the original Shrinky Dinks brand, just like my childhood days in the 70's. You will want the Rough and Ready. It has a slightly rough side) I purchased mine at Michael's.
  • Black Sharpie markers (fine point) and (extra fine point)
  • Colored Pencils
  • A hole punch (medium size)
  • A playing card (for tracing)
  • Parchment paper or a piece of a brown paper bag
  • Thin yarn for the necklace
  • A toaster oven, or conventional oven
  • Oven mitt 
  • A large flat lid or something similar to flatten piece when it comes out of oven
  • Optional - small jump rings. Or just tie a slip knot. (I used jump rings because I am also a jewelry maker and I had them handy) 
Let's get started:

 Use a sharpie marker to trace around a playing card, on to shrink plastic paper. This image shows the difference in size after the piece has been shrunk.

Cut out, keeping the tracing line visible. (I did the cutting) Instruct children to do a little line drawing on their piece and then color in the spaces with vibrant colored pencils. Have them sign their masterpieces. (or you write their name) 

Punch a hole in the center.

Here's a shot of a few of them all together before shrinking. Aren't they fun?

Place on a piece of parchment paper or brown paper bag, one at a time in the toaster oven. In a conventional oven, you could do a few at a time. Follow manufacturers instructions for oven temperature.

Set timer for 3 minutes. They are really fun to watch! They twist and curl a bit as they shrink. If supervised, kids love to watch this part!

Remove from oven. They cool and set hard really fast. Have a large, flat, metal lid handy to gently press flat if it appears that it is kind of bent looking. Work quickly.




String a piece of colorful yarn through and tie a not. Wear proudly! 


For more fun projects for children of all ages, see my Preschool Art Page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.