Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Autumn Splendor, Always Inspiring

The colors and scents of fall make me happy, grateful, full of artistic inspiration. Suddenly, I want to decorate, cook, bake, paint, draw, take photos. The days go by too fast! I find myself having a difficult time deciding between staying in my studio and working, nesting, (cooking, baking, cleaning, decorating) or taking a walk or a drive with my camera. My desire to nest and create conflicts with my desire to get outside!

Last week, I decided to make sure I did it all. I painted and beaded, I cleaned and cooked - even baked! (which I don't do that often) I made my Grandma Mila's delicious banana bread and added chocolate chips) On the same day I put a roast in the Crockpot. By about 2:00 in the afternoon my house smelled amazing! I took pictures of my fall decor and enjoyed a lovely autumn-scented candle. I even tackled a fairly big project: organizing my china cabinet full of heirlooms and my vintage pixie, and deer figurines. I kept my trusty camera with me and took pictures of it all!

Grandma Mila's Banana Bread

I made up my mind to notice and be grateful for everything beautiful that I saw or experienced. It was a wonderful week. It truly made me feel more energized than I have felt in a long time. I know that taking time to savor what I love and feel gratitude for it, makes me a happier me.

Being prepared by having my camera ready was fun. I made a point months ago to remember to always have it with me. As an artist and a publisher of Mermaids of the Lake, I know that I don't want to miss an opportunity to capture the sunrise, sunset, stew I just made, the Great Blue Heron sitting on my dock, or even the common one of deer or wild turkeys on the side of the road. I live in a beautiful part of the country and nature is completely inspiring to me. Every season displays something glorious that I love so much I can hardly bear the thought of it leaving until I remind myself that I can take a picture to enjoy the beauty when it is gone and... most importantly... that it will come back next year! I usually have my camera on the seat next to me, ready to go! Yesterday, I rounded the corner on my way home from the store and there were three beautiful wild turkeys on my neighbor's lawn. Just a few yards forward and there were three deer eating apples from another neighbor's tree. Love!!!

One afternoon, anticipating my teenager daughter arriving home soon, and deciding to be super spontaneous. I called my mom and said, "Let's get coffee and go for a drive and take pictures of the Autumn Splendor! If we don't do it now, we'll miss it!" It took my wonderful-always-ready-for-some fun-and-coffee mom about 2 seconds to say yes! My daughter walked in the door and was thrilled! We jumped in the car and picked up my mom, went through the Starbuck's drive through and hit the road! With hot coffee, a camera, and the feeling that going for a short, spontaneous adventure brings, we took off. Luckily, we don't have to drive far to be out in the country, near mountains, and so much natural beauty! It's a simple little memory that I think we will each always remember. Literally, within five minutes we were snapping pictures and exclaiming our gratitude for our surroundings.
Priceless moments!!!
The view from above of Saltese Flats

Close-up of the barn

Look at the color, and the frosty colored pines at the top of the picture- that is snow!

This gal was having dinner with her friends.

We were so excited to see this falling down old building. I think it's a barn.

She had to pick some apples for her dad!

More snow in the top of this picture.

What a day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful celebration of Fall here at our home. We are so blessed to have this gift of beauty and abundance.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.