Welcome To My Colorful World!

Welcome to my colorful world. I am a happy (most of the time!) wife, mom, MeMaw, artist, and art teacher. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I also love to create, cook, nest, decorate, entertain family and friends, laugh, collect vintage stuff, snuggle my cats and dog, play outdoors, and so much more! In addition to all this, I also publish an online magazine with my dear friend, called Mermaids of the Lake. Oh, and I love a big cup of coffee with cream, a dry martini, red wine, blingy jewelry, pink lipstick, blue fingernail polish. I love color! Beautiful colors inspire, motivate, and move me!!! What's my favorite color? I can't choose. I love them all! Yellow, pink, red, turquoise, blue, purple, orange, green and every variation in between!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

DIY Homemade Carpet Fresh


Homemade Carpet Fresh

I love, love this all natural recipe for Homemade Carpet Fresh. Carpet fresheners are basically, a scented-type powder that you sprinkle on your carpet, let sit, then vacuum up; leaving your carpet smelling fresh!

I originally found this idea on Craft Gossip. However, there are many bloggers posting various recipes for homemade carpet fresheners. Basically, they all seem to say to use baking soda and between 20 and 26 drops of essential oils of your choice. Some have you shaking the ingredients in large zip-lock bags, some just stirring. I prefer to use the good-old-fashioned flour sifter because it truly incorporates the oils into the baking soda perfectly.

Homemade Carpet Fresh Ingredients
  • Baking soda
  • Essential oils of your choice
  • One 1-Cup mixing cup
  • Flour sifter
  • Two large mixing bowls
  • Spoon
  • Shaker jar or canning jar with lid
  • Hammer and large nail to poke holes in lid, if using canning jar
Super Simple Instructions
My Favorite Combination
1 cup baking soda 
10 drops Sweet Orange Oil
6 drops Ylang Ylang
4 drops Patchouli

Pour 1 cup baking soda into large mixing bowl

Add 20 - 26 drops of essential oil of your choice

Stir

Pour into sifter and sift into the other mixing bowl. Repeat three times

Pour into shaker (I bought these shakers at The Dollar Store, but have also found them in my grocery store)

Or pour into a canning jar and poke holes in the lid with a hammer and large nail

To use: Sprinkle on carpet, wait 15 minutes and then vacuum up. It leaves your vacuum smelling wonderful too!

*** WARNING!  CAUTION! *** Essential Oils can be toxic to CATS! And some to dogs, as well. Please do your own research on which oils are toxic and under what circumstances. Ask your vet or research on line. I have a cat and I am very careful with my essential oils and cleaning products around her. Never spray the pillow she may sleep on, etc...

Follow Debbie's board DIY Home & Beauty Products on Pinterest.

3 comments:

  1. I love your mixture! I tried it yesterday and it really worked!!! Great photos, they were one of the reasons to decide trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June. Thank you so much! I love the smell of this mixture too. I plan to make a few extra batches for Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! :)))

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Thank you for leaving a comment.